The eSense Skin Response is a small sensor to measure your skin conductance using two electrodes and the microphone input of your Apple iPhone (3GS and higher), iPad (first generation and higher), iPad touch (fourth generation and higher) and Android Smartphones and Tablets (version 2,3 or higher).
By measuring skin conductance, the user can directly and precisely find out his or her level of relaxation or excitement. Skin conductance is influenced by the activity of perspiratory glands in the skin. Perspiratory glands are controlled by the sympathetic nervous system and react to emotional, physical and mental changes. Thoughts, feelings and movement (like deep breathing) can influence skin conductance. It is a direct reaction and even the smallest changes can be made apparent with this app.
Skin conductance training is the preferred kind of biofeedback training for combating fear and panic, and for learning relaxation techniques. Your skin conductance depends directly on your state of relaxation or stress, making it a commonly used and very precise stress indicator. This is because the small blood vessels (arterioles) crisscrossing the tissue are surrounded by smooth muscle fibers controlled by the sympathetic nervous system, which is also responsible for stress.
With the eSense Skin Response, you can precisely identify your stress level and reduce it with biofeedback training. The free app displays your skin conductance in multiple ways and includes detailed instructions for effective biofeedback training.
Because the eSense Skin Response effectively measures sweat gland activity, it can be used to reduce excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) through biofeedback training. As Skin Response reacts directly to emotional arousal, it is also the standard for the detection of deception.
Using the eSense Skin Response
1. After buying the eSense Skin Response, please download our free from the App Store (Apple) or
Google play (Android). You can download and try out the app without the sensor. (The app will
produce meaningless values in this case.)
2. Connect the electrodes to the pads of your middle and index finger.
3. Connect the eSense Skin Response to the microphone input of your device.
4. Start the App, read the included training instructions and start using your eSense. To get the most
precise measurement, work at a relatively constant ambient temperature, breathe calmly (not too
deep) and do not move the hand with the electrodes too much.
Complete training package includes:
● Mindfield eSense Skin Response Sensor
● Velcro-tape for attaching the sensor
● Free App by Mindfield from the App Store or Google play
● Detailed instructions for effective biofeedback training is included in the app
● Training instructions are also available in PDF format